Re: HURD Boot Problems

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 09:51:38PM -0500, Luke Reeves wrote:
> I finally completed installation of the Hurd, and it looks as if all
> went well.  When I try to boot the system, I get the following error:
>
> Hurd server bootstrap: ext2fs.static[hd1s1] execext2fs.static:
> ../../libdiskfs/boot-start.c:416: diskfs_execboot_fsys_startup:
> Unexpected error: No such file or directory.
> memory_object_data_request(0x0, 0x0, 0x2000, 0x1000, 0x1) failed,
> 268435459
>
> I have the ext2 file it's looking for, in /hurd and /boot (just in case
> it looked in the boot directory).  Does anyone have any ideas?
>

>From my experiense, what ext2fs.static is looking for is /servers/exec, in
principle that file must have been created by cross-install, unless it
failed for some reason before it got to that point. If you have the latest
cross install from http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install and the latter
happend you are better off trying to rerun the cross-install script. If you
have an old version get the latest one, or you can try `touching' /servers/exec
from linux and reboot.

BTW, to whomever is working on the filesystem servers, should ext2fs be
relying on the existance of that file, or can it assume the responsibility
of creating it if it's not there?

Igor