can't adduser

I can't get into a multi user boot, for one because I don't have any
users.  I don't have a password for root.  And doing adduser doesn't
work, it asks for user name, then it says it's making group of the same
name given, and it stops.  And there is no way to get back to the
command line.  And I have no virtual consoles...the list goes on and
on.  This Hurd is intriguing...but a bit trying.  I really just don't
know how to use it.  Are there any good up to date tutorials that might
give info on the basics?

--
R Joseph Wright

*I merely took the energy it takes to pout
and wrote some blues --Duke Ellington*