Re: Learning kernel-hacking

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 09:01:45AM +0100, Fredrik Liljegren wrote:
> > If you've never touched it, I'd probably recommend Linux.
> > Afterwards, hit the Hurd.
>
> But there are that big differences that learning linux wouldn't help me that
> nuch in understanding the hurd?

You could say that the differences are big but it's not that learning any
of the systems first won't help you understanding the other.
You shouldn't worry about that.  Take one system and study it carefully.  You
first have to learn lots of things that are same in both systems.
Eventually, you'll get to the point where the difference between the systems
will become obvious and logical without much time spent on studying
the other system.  If you are a pianist, you pretty much have the idea
what those guitarists are doing and you could rock'n'roll in no time. ;-)

Best regards,
Josip