panic: zalloc

I've been testing my Kaffe build under the Hurd. Most simple java programs
run  fine, however there still are plenty ones that dont. While trying to
debug test cases, one program once run consistently make gnumach issue a
"panic: zalloc" and crash. I've been able to place the panic call in
gnumach-1.2/kern/zalloc.c line 486 (source taken from the debian archive).
However if run under gdb, this only gives a SEGV in a seemingly unrelated
place. Any clue to what's causing the problem?

BTW, if gnumach hangs, is this a bug?

Igor