Re: tetex and klibtool

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 07:07:33PM +0000, Chris Lingard wrote:
> Hello Marcus,
> I reported a build of tetex on 19 November; but you probably should speak with
> Kapil H Paranjape.

Yes, now I remember both of you. sorry for the impersonal way, I was in
university and had no easy way to dig out your names.

> When I build it, I put extra lines in a case statement to recognise gnu.

Ah, you should have let us know. I had the impression no modifications were
necessary. As a general note, it is important to tell us every single bit
you needed to change, because when the time has come, we will automatically
build packages unattented.

> klibtool is used only for the tetex directory;  the libkpathsea.so.3.3.1 uses
> libtool.  Also the Debian build uses debstd, and this is a script calling
> getopt.

debstd is a bit... well. I had no problems with debstd or getopt whatsoever.
Also, tex build just fine. It's only that a spurious warning needs to be
adressed. We don't want to be unsupported :)

> I have since deleted the source directory because Debian Org flamed us when it
> was suggested that changes were needed.

I hope not! If you mean we said that you should not convert to libtool
without consulting upstream, that's right. We try to miniimize our changes.

> I am not sure that it could be build
> using an empty directory and the ../configure method.  It would probably be
> easiest to port Kapil's (or my) binaries;  and produce a Hurd (working) version
> of Tex/tetex in the future.

That's not important I think. The only thing I am interested in is the gnu
change to klibtool. Do you still have the patch? Are you willing to submit
it upstream? If not (for example because it is inconvenient for you as you
have deleted the source), no problem, just let me know and I will look after
it.