RE: ftpfs --> httpfs?

> > The reason I ask is that it would greatly simplify apt porting if we
> > could make use of ftp and http file systems.  Then it just becomes a
> > matter of pointing apt's "local" configuration info to either of these
> > filesystems and setting up proper instructions for "cd'ing" to the
> > appropriate place on the net.
>
> That is a nice idea, but I suspect that it is not in fact the
> simple way to go.  There is not likely to be a whole lot of effort
> required to get any program that runs on linux and uses the network
> (sockets) in usual ways ported to the Hurd.

Ahh.  Well, it seemed like a good idea (to use an httpfs).  Perhaps in
the future.

At any rate, I am having some trouble getting apt's networking to play
nicely with the Hurd.  I am attempting to provide better debugging info
before I whine to loudly about it, but see Bug #47921 for some info
(http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/47/47921.html).

Any help would be greatly appreciated... :-)

-Brent