Re: Building the Hurd

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 10:43:39AM -0700, Kevin Musick wrote:
> Can someone tell me what the best way is to get the latest version of the
> Hurd compiled?  I have version 0.2 running now, but I need to get some fixes
> that are in later versions.  I've downloaded different source snapshots,
> like 0329 and 1004, but they won't compile.  The 1004 version seems to need
> some files I don't have, and the 0329 version had a plethora of compilation
> errors.  I also downloaded a newer binary tarball, which runs, but it didn't
> contain the files that I needed to build the Hurd myself.  It seems version
> 0.2 is the only version that has a complete tarball with everything you
> need.

It's all true: There is no known way to compile the current Hurd on a 0.2
system. I don't think anybody tried, because you would end up recompiling
everything from scratch, and this is done more conveniently by cross
compiling (assuming you know what you are doing).

So, getting a new binary distribution is indeed your best option. There is
no single tar file with all you need, but there are regular base tar files
(gnu-YYYYMMDD) which will get you started, and everything else comes in the
convenient Debian package format in small pieces, both for individual
installation and incremental updates.

Start from http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install