Re: Hurd usage questions.

 MB> Since the Hurd crashes on me still, (or I crash it, whatever :)
 MB> it tends to leave the filesystem dirty. How can I fsck it from
 MB> the Hurd? I only have that one partition and fsck.ext2 warns me
 MB> that running it on a mounted filesystem can cause severe
 MB> damage. Eep.

It won't cause damage if the partition is mounted read-only, which it
is if ext2fs found it marked dirty.

Just run fsck before you do your `fsysopts / --writable'.

 MB> Also, the system I'm on has 16 megs of RAM (and 64 megs of swap).
 MB> ext2fs.static is huge compared to ext2fs. What kind of magic can
 MB> I go through to replace the dynamically linked one?

You can't.  ext2fs.static handles many magic things including the
default pager.  It looks bigger than it is... all that size is really
functionality and the default pager.

You can try stripping it, if you really want to conserve disk space,
but I'm not sure that'll actually make its memory footprint smaller.

 MB> I have the same problem some other fellow reported but it doesn't
 MB> seem to have been answered yet, so I'll reiterate. I'd like to
 MB> "mount" some Linux partitions but if I make devices for them,
 MB> trying to ls -l /dev will freeze on the devices I just
 MB> created. What gives?

Don't `ls -l /dev', just `ls' it.

 MB> The system's memory management seems degenerative. Either that,
 MB> or some servers are leaking memory.

This is the likely one.  There are probably still a few port leaks.

 MB> What can I do to pinpoint a leaky process outside of looking at
 MB> the mem usage in 'ps' ?

$ portinfo PID | wc -l

counts the number of ports.  There used to be a port leak in the proc
server that would leak 3 ports per exec.  I'm not sure if it's been
fixed yet.

 MB> Also, what the heck are the processes ps reports as '-' ? Their
 MB> "pids" are 2 and 3.

One is the default pager... I'm not sure of the other.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)