what you can do (was: Re: hurd boots!!!

On Sun, May 23, 1999 at 10:57:50PM +0200, Thierry Bourrillon wrote:

> hello all, today Hurd boots on my box
> thanks to Marcus, it was easy with the .debs
> now I want to contribute to hurd development.
> what can I do ??
> wich packages are needed to do some work?

It would help to know what you like to do. Currently, there is lots of room
to getr yourself in. For example, you can try to build your favourite Debian
package and share with us the problems you encounter. If there is a Debian
package that does built without problems, and it is not in the archive yet,
let me know, so I can build and upload it. The more you can fix
yourself, the better (but for massive upstream patches first let us know
what you plan to do, or it will get a mess).

For example: You could try to build a mail transport agent like exim. Or
some X packages. Or you could work on gnumach character device support if
you are a kernel hacker. Or you could stress test the system and debug it.
Or you could work on a native fdisk. Or you could try to "port" sysvinit (or
at least the part we need).

In general, follow this list and bug-hurd closely and you will notice a lot
of tasks that can be done. I am often sending status reports, and most often
I report some problems in them I encountered and didn't fix yet.

I don't want to say: You do this, and you do that. What I would like is if
people would take a look at what's there, what's missing, and what I report
and then step forward and say what they plan to do. Then I can put in
details. You know better where your strengths are than me.

Sometimes, I really plea for help on this list, but this is only when there
is something really serious I need help with (for example, when Ian Main
ported star-stop-daemon). Currently, there are a lot of important issues,
but no crucial ones.

What you should NOT do without contacting me prior: Work on packages that are
currently in the archive, in short: all of section base, the more common
stuff in section devel, interpreters/perl and the main X stuff. There are of
course things among them you can work on, and you are welcome to do so, but
to avoid doubled effort it is better to negotiate with me.