what happened on the weekend

Hello,

the last weekend was a busy one. Roland was actively working on the Hurd,
and I sat on the other end of the world and was actively working on the
Debian packages of it. Roland is awesome, no bug passed his eyes unnoticed.

The result is dpkg 1.4.1.5, which is now a bit closer to the Linux dpkg when
calculating shared library dependencies at built time. It also has fixed
dependencies.

The result is hurd 19990517fixed, which replaces the broken 19990517, which
has a lot of bug fixes and improved swap partition handling.

The result is an increased number of bug reports in the BTS, both, against
hurd and other packages.

The result is a pile of work for me to do (fileutils/df, mtools, hurd...)

The result is inetutils 1.3.2-5 (or so), which is stuck in incoming on
master, and offers almost unproblematic net access for the Hurd. (if you
have a network device, that is ;).

The result is egcs 2.91.66 (currently in incoming). I did plester Matthias,
and the changes will be in the next version (I really got on his nerves,
because I broke the i486-linux build and had to do several changes to my
changes, and I apologozy!)

The result is a fixed motd in cross-install (you all waited for this, I
know ;).

The result is an almost stable development system.

The result is a Hurd that looks *pretty* in multiuser boot!

Of course, there is still a lot to do. It would be nice if very slowly all
the developers would crop up who want to do native builds of their packages,
and therefore install the latest Hurd from the ftp archive :) I would like
to delegate some work, too. Let me know what you are interested in (yes, we
have so much work that you have almost free choice :)

"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>