Re: hurd default pager/swap space changes

On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 07:27:47PM -0400, Roland McGrath wrote:
> I've made some minor changes to the hurd having to do with swap space.
> (These changes are in cvs, but not yet propagated to the anoncvs mirror.)

Those are really nice changes you did, Roland.

[...]

> I think we should stop telling people to use $(add-paging-partition) et al
> in the boot script (/boot/servers.boot) and instead to boot up with no swap
> and then use swapon.  This is what Linux and other systems usually do nowadays.

Should I add some magic to cross-install to automatically detect Linux
swap partitions from /etc/fstab and add them to Hurd fstab? native-install
could then create the device files, as it does for the root device right
now... maybe it's not good to have cross-install doing too much, though...

If someone else wants to give it a try, you're welcome!

> Note that for a native install, you'll need to run MAKEDEV for the swap
> partition devices before you can run swapon.  But I expect everyone has at
> least enough memory to do that.

;)