Re: Hurd Installation

On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 11:16:15AM -0500, Ashutosh S. Rajekar wrote:
> 1: Sould we use the files downloaded from GNU's FTP site or the .deb
> packages from DEBIAN's FTP site to install HURD ? Is it advisabe to use
> single packages from DEBIAN or the large tarball from
> 	ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/gnu-***.tar.gz ?

Both will lead to almost identical results, if used proper. Of course, it
may be that the packages in the tar file have slightly different version
numbers than the one in the ftp archive. The gnu-xxxx tar file is just a
snapshot of what you have after the cross-install run.

> 2. This one is for the GNU FTP maintainers: I think the grub-boot.image
> file should be uploaded in gzippe'd format, the raw binary takes a lot of
> time to download. The file is
> "ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnu-0.2/grub-boot.image"

I agree. And a bzip2 copy, too. And it should be updated to have grub 5.91
or whatever is the latest version.

> 3. Will or does HURD support RPM's ?

Only through alien, the usual Debian interface for rpm's. As there are no
rpm's for the Hurd yet, this is probably only of use for source rpms, if at
all :)

Of course, to make alien work, we need to port rpm first.