Re: Linux/Hurd compatibility

On Fri, May 14, 1999 at 08:08:05PM +0100, Adam Sampson wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 12:22:33AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Of course we need more developers. How about an "Adam" or a "David"? :)
>
> I'll get Hurd installed for proper as soon as I get my new hard disk.
>
> What I'd like to work on is the FPU emulation (my other box is a 486sx25).
> What state is the current mach emulation in? Is it completely broken,
> unfinished or working but buggy? Am I going to need to learn i386 assembler
> in a big way?

It's broken, and non-free. You have to port it from the Linux Kernel. Okuji
can probably tell you more. I don't knwo what is involved. You probably
don't need to learn assembler by heart, if you can understand what's going
on in the source to integrate it, that should be enough.

This would be a very good thing to do!