status of the ftp archive

Hello,

I know everyone wants to try the Hurd, but the ftp archive is in a dangerous
state and may give you some headache if you are not careful.

Especially, slang1 is broken. I build a replacement ages agom but for some
reason it was never installed in the archive.

Then, there are a lot of packages you should NOT install. There are two
reasons:

1) The package may be declared as architecture: All, but is not usable for
   the Hurd, or even may break things. This is makedev, for example.
2) I uploaded the package, but it should not be there. For example login,
   dpkg-dev (use dpkg-hurd-dev instead).

So be a bit careful when installing packages beyond the base system that
isinstalled by cross install.

Packages in other secxtions than base/ should be mostly harmless. They will
at least not crash your system as far as I know. They may still be
unusable.

Solution for this problem:
1) No easy solution, Gord was working on a general solution (Gord, where's
your proposal?).
2) I can ask the ftp maintainers to remove such packages, and will do so as
soon as I have made a list.