Re: Moving away from /dev ?

OKUJI Yoshinori <okuji@kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp> writes:

> > The attempt I once began foundered on the lack of adequate kernel
> > facilities to do it, but that's fixable.

>   I want to know what facilities are lack precisely. If you give me
> the clue, I may fix that.

Basically, we need a call that will return all the valid device names
that the kernel understands (the list should reflect what is actually
present on the machine, and not be a list just of particular pieces of
hardware that might be there).

It also needs to be possible to tell, for each device, exactly what
kind of device it is, in some manner that does not cause the device to
do anything at all.  (Doing device_open/device_get_status/device_close
would be OK, except that some devices block on open, and many do
things on close, and there is no guarantee that every device will
support an appropriate device_get_status type query.)

Thomas