Re: Installing Debian/HURD

On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 01:35:09PM +0100, M.C. Vernon wrote:

> > Q3 :
> >    I don't have too much disk space, so is it possible to do some links to files
> >    from Debian GNU/Linux packages designed for "all" architecture on
> >    Linux partitions?
>
> No - althought those packages contain no architecture-dependant code, they
> may have been compiled, inwhich case the binaries are
> architecture-dependant. You can re-use packages consisting entirely of
> scripts though.

Sorry, you got this one wrong, Matthew. "Architecture: any" packages need to
be reinstalled. "Architecture: all" packages SHOULD run on all systems "byte
by byte" read: without modifications. This is unfortunately not true for
some scripts like makedev etc.

Still I would say the PAIN symlinking the files is not worth the effort at
all. The binary-all part of the system is minimal (5% maybe).