Re: Let's talk about intermediate release...

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 09:44:49AM -0500, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > Me, too, because this is Debian default. We need to analyse Hurds current
> > behaviour and then move it slowly to Debian behaviour. I have ported login
> > etc once, and we need to find a naming scheme for Hurd login and Debian
> > login (probably dpkg-divert and a configuration option).
>
> I have no particular opinion about the Right Thing right now, so don't
> take these comments about what should happen this month.  This is more
> a matter of longer term strategy:

Ok.

> There are some nice features to the Hurd that Linux does not have, and
> we should try and use them and not restrict ourselves to only what
> Linux has.

Agreed.

> One of those is no-uid operation and the normal mode that
> login terminals have a shell running for the quick typing of
> commands.  That was part of the reason for the way the Hurd's
> init/getty/login work.

I think some people may not be happy about them, is there an option to
deactivate the login shell? I just ask for completeness, I am happy to have
it active as default.

> init, getty, and login are very low-level programs, and need to
> interface with the OS in a way that other programs never need to.  It
> is perfectly fine for them to be OS dependent, and I'd like to
> continue to use the Hurd versions.

Agreed.

> If there is a desire to have a sysv style init.d and rc*.d directories
> instead of the BSD rc script, then I'd like to have this initial
> release keep the Hurd init as it is, and put a command in the rc
> script to start up the sysv process.

Sounds good and reasonable.

> I would ultimately like to have no rc or init.d equivalent at all.

For Debian, this is nearly impossible. Individual server packages provide
their init.d files in /etc/init.d/, which are run by run-parts. Whatever
your ideas are, they must take into account that some packages contain
scripts in /etc/init.d/. But, Debian also contains an interface,
"update-rc.d", and we can divert or replace it. This means, your ideas can
probably still be implemented (even if the physical location is
/etc/init.d).