Re: Why df always gives an error message

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 11:47:37AM +0000, Chris Lingard wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > So please go and make some tests if you can and let us know if there are
> > actually problems to expect.
> >

> Running Hurd mke2fs on an unmounted partition
>
> This works but has some strange effects, it says that it has made type GNU/Hurd.

Which is correct. Under Linux, you get the same with "-o hurd", which is
necessary to make translators work.

> When the partition is settransed a df shows
>
>     1024-blocks    Used Available    Capacity    Mounted on
>     1013984            15996    97292        2%            /dev/hdb3
> On Linux it is
>     981372                13        930660        0%        /Source
>
> Note that Hurd thinks that it is larger.  It was made as a 990Mb partition, as were
> four others.

The values look somewhat bogus indeed.

> Sub note
> If file /var/run/mtab is deleted after a reboot, then mke2fs still works but gives an
> error message.

ok.

> Running Hurd mke2fs on a mounted partition
>
> Yes it does.  It will work on any partition, since it has no way of checking.

Indeed.

[...]

> Sorry this is a bit long,  but I think we may have a little problem here.

I think there ismroe than one problem involved here. I will try to take a
look at some of these.

[...]

> If something went wrong then df would be
> one of the first commands that I would use.

Well, one idea would be to have a mtab translator and make the filesystems
to register themselves to this translator. But please consider that in the
Hurd, "everything" is a filesystem, and you need to make a decision if you
want to register various tar-translators, /dev/null etc, too, or if you want
to restrict this to "conventional filesystems". Also, there is no way to
enforce such a registration. Last but not least, in distributed systems, you
can't tell the difference between a local and a remote filesystem.

Maybe the mke2fs issue can be solved differently, for example by querying
the /dev/hd?? translators if the underlying device is busy.

> > > How parallel are the binary updates and the source for Hurd.  I applied the
> > > Hurd_19991209 patch, but since then I have installed stuff built from CVS
> > > source, downloaded about 12 December.  When you make releases would it be
> > > possible for you to let us know if the source could also be used, instead of the
> > > binary?
> >
> > I don't understand. The Debian packages are directly from CVS, with little
> > to none changes. In the future, the changes will be zero (because I should
> > have write access to the debian/ directory in CVS).
> >

> Sorry, I will reword.  I used various tarballs,  then used Hurd_19991209.  Since then
> I have built and installed the Hurd from source.  I think you mean that the Hurd
> source is up to date and that I can use this instead of binary packages.

This is hopefully often true, but what I really wanted to say is that I don't
understand what your actual question is ("When you make releases...").