Re: Why df always gives an error message

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

Hello Marcus

> Chris Lingard wrote:
> >
> > Have run df though gdb to find out why the message "cannot read table of
> > mounted filesystems" is always given.
>
> We actually knew this, and it is in the FAQ at www.debian.org.
> The trick is to always specify a filesystem, for example
>
> df /

I know, you have told me before.  This error message annoys people, judging from

> > setmntent reads the file   /var/run/mtab   and this is an empty file on
> > the Hurd.
>
> It should be non existant.
>
> > The file /var/run/mtab is touched by  rc.sh.  In the Hurd source
> > daemon/ChangeLog, is a note that the file must exist for mke2fs to
> > work.  Does mke2fs use this file to check for mounted partitions, and if
> > so can the Hurd mke2fs a mounted partition?

I am still worried about mke2fs

> I think the file does not need to exist, and the comment is obsolete. I
> will try
> and consequently remove the entry in rc.sh.
>
> > df needs some method of reading which partitions are mounted.  Is this a
> > Hurd bug?
>
> no, it does not need it, and it is more a feature than a bug.
>
> The Hurd is a multiserver OS, and there is no central authority for
> mounted filesystems.
> What we could do is to write a database server where filesystems can
> register themselves
> if they want.

What about System Administrators of large Hurd networks.  How will they know
what partitions to back up/copy/update.

How parallel are the binary updates and the source for Hurd.  I applied the
Hurd_19991209 patch, but since then I have installed stuff built from CVS
source, downloaded about 12 December.  When you make releases would it be
possible for you to let us know if the source could also be used, instead of the
binary?

This Friday, 24 December, I can finish work early, as long as everything is
done.  I will then have nearly two weeks to look at the Hurd.  See you soon.

Chris