Re: NFSD status.

>:-)  Well, keep learning!  Next you will find out that the kernel has
>nothing whatsoever to do with ioctls.
Ok, so my interest is piqued.  You use ioctls to control devices, logical
or physical, right?  And the device drivers are in the kernel, right?
So how can the one have nothing to do with the other.

My obvious conjecture is that you can put the lower half of the DD in
the kernel, the upper half in a task, and, if you are very careful and
the wind is right, you can transfer data up and down without copying it.
Since most ioctls have to do with state of the upper half of the driver,
I suppose they don't touch the kernel all that much.  And you probably
don't lose that much performance rescheduling the upper halves, since
they only get involved on behalf of a task anyway.

Once you are forced to copy data you are hosed as far as performance goes.

Bill White <bill.white@griggsinst.com>
"There's no art to find the mind's construction in the ASCII."
Macbeth, Act I scene 1 (first draft).