RE: Bootup Problem

Hello John,

this problem can be reproduced with high probability
on slow systems. I use a notebook running at slow
clock speed (energy saving mode) and VMWARE.

Here are the results from my investigations:

1. The multi-user boot hangs in the script /libexec/rc
   when calling fsck. When you enter multi-user mode
   after a single-user boot, fsck is not called, so there
   is no problem.

2. Adding the (undocumented) option --debug for fsck in
   /libexec/rc, you will get more details which help to
   analyse the problem. Here is a typical diagnostic
   output from fsck with some comments added by me.

[main: Reading /etc/fstab...]
[main: Fscking...]
[fsck: Pass 1]
[fsck: /: Fsckable; free_slots = 100]
[fscks_start_fsck: /: Checking mounted state]
[fscks_start_fsck: /: Checking readonly state]
[fscks_start_fsck: /: Making readonly]
# 3 x crash here when called from multi-user shell prompt!
# File system was clean at the next boot!
[fscks_start_fsck: /: Will make writable after fscking if possible]
# 2 x crash here when called from /libexec/rc!
# 1 x crash here when called from multi-user shell prompt!
# File system was clean at the next boot!
#added /Weil#[fs_start_fsck: /: Called with flags = 1537]
#added /Weil#[fs_start_fsck: /: Forking...]
[fs_start_fsck: /: Spawned pid 48: /sbin/fsck.ext2 -p /dev/hd0s1]
[fscks_wait: Waiting...]
/dev/hd0s1: clean, 5371/131072 files, 67598/523971 blocks
[fscks_wait: /: Fsck finished (status = 0)]
[fsck_cleanup: /: Cleaning up after fsck (remount = 0, make_writable = 1)]
[fsck_cleanup: /: Making writable]

So fsck hangs either when calling fsys_readonly() or
when calling malloc() (I am not quite sure about this)
in fscks_start_fsck().

Perhaps more people can do some tests calling fsck from the
shell prompt. I sometimes get a hanging system with
"fsck --debug --preen --writable". In one case fsck
complained about the file system which was in use and could
not be made readonly. I'd have expected this always
because in multi-user mode, syslogd writes log files.
If you experience this kind of problem, just kill the
syslogd process.

Regards,
Stefan