Re: Newbie questions again...

> 1) Reading on disk/partition names (like the easy guide) state that "IDE hard
> disks are numbered in order...". What happens if I had Primary/Master (hd0) and
> Secondary/Master (hd1) and added Primary slave? Will this shift hd1 to hd2?

The numbers hd0..hd3 are always fixed to the same things as Linux's hda..hdd.
That is:

	Hurd (Mach)	Linux	is

	hd0		hda	primary IDE controller master disk
	hd1		hdb	primary IDE controller slave disk
	hd2		hdc	secondary IDE controller master disk
	hd3		hdd	secondary IDE controller slave disk

> [Beides: it would be nice to sync the disk naming conventions int Hurd and
> GRUB!]

Amen to that.  It is a bit of a sticky problem because GRUB is using the
BIOS to access the disk, so hd0 means "BIOS disk #0" and hd1 means "BIOS
disk #2" and so on.  What can certainly be fixed is the difference between
GRUB's syntax for partitions (e.g. "(hd0,0,a)") vs the Hurd/Mach (really BSD)
syntax (e.g. "hd0s1a").  The big annoyance with that difference is that
GRUB numbers the DOS partitions 0,1,2,3 while everyone else uses 1,2,3,4.