Re: Some questions

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 05:27:57PM +0100, Gergely, Zsombor wrote:
>  About size. Understood. I downloaded both the gnumach (gnu? what about the
> copyright notices of Carnegie Mellon?),

That's the "mach".

GNU Mach is really Mach + our tweaks.

> and the hurd source. What I see is that
> the mach does the hardware job without any "logical service", providing the hurd
> with abstract devices. Right?

Yes. The Mach device interface is in <device/...>. Unfortunately, the
terminal interface is not so good and needs a redesign.

>  Mach will be smaller if you make a really tiny microkernel... How will then
> drivers handled? By a loader, like with Linux? And the monolithic (it is,
> right?) Mach remains till then?

A loader does not enhance the design conceptionally at all, so it is not
interesting. Some people think hardware drivers in user space are appealing,
other disagree. Only time will see.

Mach is a *microkernel* through and through! Quite different from a
monolithical kernel like linux.

Anyway, you should not concentrate on Mach too much. The Hurd is mostly
independent from Mach, and could be ported to other microkernels.