Re: libdb missing?

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 03:18:52PM +0200, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> For some time now, I couldn't install a clean system because man-db
> depends on libdb, which doesn't appear to be available.

Argh, man-db still making problems.

> Is there a problem with libdb, or would it be sufficient if I fetched
> the sources and compiled them?

Well, the libdb sources sucked. They took a long time to build because of
the extra build runs for debug info.

Anyway, there were some critical bugs in man-db which are fixed now. I will
take a look at it. However, the db situation is still a mess. As libc
ships with db2 already, it doesn't seem to make sense to require/provide an
external version, too. The man-db Makefile can be easily tweaked to build
man-db without libdb2 package.

(if you want to use the external version, make sure the translation of the
open flags is fixed in the current version. In glibc, it is).

"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>