Re: Could you assist ...

Hi Lanz,

Usually you don't need to mail me if you already mail to the list, thanks.

On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 11:15:00AM +1300, lanz wrote:
> 3) 1393 mb > ext2 (proposed)/(debian/gnu/ --- hurd and/or linux mix/match)

Too big. Use a partition less than 1GB. This is documented plenty.

> 4) 128mb > swapfile

Note that neither Hurd nor recent linux has the 128MB limit anymore.

> Q1) I understand debian/gnu/hurd uses a ext2 partition
>       Does this have to be a primary partition

No. Any is fine, even BSD disklabel. Same for paging device (swap).

> Q2) I understand debian/gnu/hurd can't simply be installed like linux,

That's a lie! A lie I say! :)

> that the hurd requires linux to be present to install the hurd in the
> nominated partition designated/planned for the hurd?.

No. You only need some Linux/BSD to BOOT the machine (read: on a different
partition). This is because there are no installation disks.

> I ask this because I have doslinux using 10 meg in
> my dos partition and could use this just to install the hurd in it's
> area or is there/will there be a dependancy between the hurd and
> debian/linux.

I don't know what doslinux is. If you use the tar file, you don't need
Debian GNU/Linux. If you go for cross-install, you need dpkg, this requires
usually Debian GNU/Linux, which I recommend anyway.

However, we are currently in a bad state. The last tar file (19990923) is
definitely broken, so I recommend to wait with the installation until there
is a new one.

>       How does the hurd handle linux programs/software now/future and can
>       you please define the 2 types/linux binaries and how they differ from
>       what executables are/and how the hurd interacts with debian/linux and
>       applications or is there a factor for recompiling linux stuff to work
>       with the debian/gnu/hurd.

I suggest that you get some experience on your own before asking again about
what you could not figure yourself. We don't want to spoil all the fun...

The shortest answer is: Not yet but soon we will be able to run some linux
binaries.

> Q4) I understand that if say I have a Debian/linux/ext2 partition running
> linux I can possibly install/run the hurd in a subdir of the linux
> partition?

This is not a supported option. It is technically possible, but we are not
using it very much.

>  Q5) Currently I run a doslinux version of linux in my dos partition which
> uses loop principle to boot my doslinux out of it's compressed file,

Such a setup is quite possible under the Hurd. Again, we don't use it under
any normal circumstances.

Jonathan, another small point: It would be useful if you could make use of
some of the characters  , . ; : sometimes when formulating your questions.
Without them, it is so much more difficult to read and answer them.
It reminds me a lot of James Joyce final works :)

"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>