From: Steffen Seeger [mailto:s.seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 11:51 AM
To: ggi-develop@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: Hurd Help! -- FW: colortext translator

> GGI Folks:
>
> A few Hurd folks are making noises about porting KGI/GGI onto the Hurd.
> At one time a few of you were somewhat interested in this, but didn't
> make much progress.

I was, I even have hurd sleeping on my hard drive, but no chance yet
to investigate the possiblities to get KGI ported.

> Can a kind, knowledgable soul join our "debian-hurd" mailing list and
> provide some technical support?

I've sent a subscribe message to debian-hurd-request@lists.debian.org
with subject "subscribe". I hope this suffices, if not, I will yell
again.

> The main questions we are trying to resolve are:
>
> 1.  How to best break KGI/GGI into a kernel/user codebase.  Most
> processes (such as the ext2 filesystem) live in "user" space.  Only
> very specific things go in the microkernel -- those things that
> have to deal directly with the hardware.

It depends on what the penalty switching between user/kernel mode is.

> 2.  How best to get FB support into the microkernel.

I am not really clear what you are referring to here. Just '/dev/fb'
support or support for graphical consoles, or what in particular.

> Attached is a recent debian-hurd message from one of the two
> independent console-coding efforts that started recently.  Instead
> of this, we would really like to jump directly to the GGI console.

Well, I won't be an obstacle to this :-)

> -Brent

			Steffen

----------------- e-mail: seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de -----------------
------------- The GGI Project: http://www.ggi-project.org -------------