Re: hurd build machine available?

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 09:00:53PM -0400, Michael Bacarella wrote:

> > > port their packages to?  I'd like to try to port some of my packages to
> > > the hurd.  Unfortunately, the systems I have access to are dedicated
> > > Linux boxes (nothing wrong with that :) so I can't install the hurd on
> > > any of them.
> >
> > Not yet, but we are working on it. It seems that we will soon get a machine
> > that is available for all Debian developers. It will be announced big times
> > when it is ready.
>
> I considered leaving a machine running the Hurd up indefinately with a
> guest account just to see what areas might need improvement
> (stability/security/etc)

Let us know, so we can break it :)

> I noticed that the initial login prompt provides a wee bit more power than
> i'd like. I suppose I can get around that once I have the time.
>
> Don't know why I'm telling you.. :)

Because you want to either know how to switch to a login prompt or you want
to know more about the not-logged in shell.

Every file has beside access rights for owner, group and other also rights
for the not-logged in user.

The right thing would be to add this feature to chmod, ls and so on, so we
can make use of it. Then you can fine tune the power the ont logged in user
has.

`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org  Check Key server
Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de                        PGP Key ID 36E7CD09
http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Marcus.Brinkmann/