Re: Trying hurd

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Roland McGrath wrote:

> > Yes, but setting up a cross-compilation environment is not worth the
> > trouble, as Marcus told me earlier and yet I decided to discover it from
> > experience :) On the other hand, recompiling GNUMach under the Hurd is
> > pretty easy.
>
> That is true.  However, for the case of gnumach ONLY, it will probably work
> fine to build with plain native Linux/x86 (ELF) tools.

... that are set up to use the Mach/Hurd includes. I've used the
gcc-i386-gnu package to cross compile gnumach (and I think even hurd?) on
Linux. It works fine once you've found out the proper --build and --target
values to pass to configure.

belbo@yksi:~> dpkg -s gcc-i386-gnu
Package: gcc-i386-gnu
 This is a "cheap" cross-compiler based on the existing gcc and g++
 from Debian 2.0, ready to do cross-compilation for the GNU/Hurd. The
 only change is the specs file. Everything else are symlinks and wrappers.

Daniel.