Re: Hurd install: Can't open server boot script.

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 07:35:53PM +0000, Nuno Emanuel F. Carvalho wrote:
> Mike Hansen wrote:
>
> > While trying to install Hurd using the tarball method,  I encountered an
> > error on the initial boot.  The error read "Can't open server boot
> > script /dev/hd0s3/boot/servers.boot".  hd0s3 is the correct drive and
> > partition of my Hurd files, and servers.boot does exist.  Any help on
> > this matter is greatly appreciated.
>
> Don't use the tarball method! It doesn't work.

It does if you replace the native-install with the version found in the same
directory as the tar file.

Of course, a new tar file is needed. It will be prepared when I have cleaned
up my working pile (we did a lot of changes to the boot process which need
to be cleaned up just a little bit).

> I also had the same problem.
> Download all the hurd-i386 packages and use the three scripts(native-install,
> etc..) from Marcus.

Of course you are right that this method is preferred.