Re: GRUB 0.5.92 is released

Hello, Jim!

>   I BELIEVE MY ONLY CHOICE IS TO DO A FDISK/MBR.  Does anybody see an
> alternative?  I've tried everything else I can think of.
> enough whining and a few questions for my game plan:

I don't think so. GRUB overwrites the original MBR with stage1. Only the
partition tables are preserved, but not the loader, which used to be
there.

> )does grub support booting FAT32 or should I be sure to use only FAT16?

GRUB doesn't support access to files on FAT32 (in case you are strange
enough to keep your Linux or Hurd kernel there), but it does support
booting from FAT32.
The same applies to NTFS and other filesystems which store the loader in
the first sector of the partition.

You should look at the item "For booting Windows NT 3.5 or Windows95" in
the sample menu.lst

> )can I boot more than one FAT partition(two PRI DOS FAT16, one PRI DOS
> FAT32 each partition supports an OS) with my menu.lst?  The two FAT16s
> are just small boot partitions to the second harddrive.

I think yes. There is an option "makeactive" which makes active the
partition being booted.

> )should I keep my hurd and debian boot partitions below cylinder 1024?

I hope that you should not need it if you will be using stage1_lba of if
stage2 will be placed below cylinder 1024.

I give no warranty, so try to test it with your hardware first.
But you should keep your FAT partitions below cylinder 1024.

Pavel Roskin