Re: Debian GNU/Hurd installation

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 10:19:55AM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:
> Basically, it involves putting grub, a gzipped gnumach, and a gzipped
> serverboot on one floppy, and using the `pause' command to make GRUB
> wait for the next floppy before booting.

The GNU Mach from the Debian package (with almost all drivers enabled) will
fit on a floppy if compressed quiet easily.

>  Then you put servers.boot,
> ext2fs.static, and ld.so on a second floppy, passing serverboot the
> `$(prompt-task-resume)' command to make it wait for the next floppy
> before starting ext2fs.static.

Any chance that we can compress ext2fs.static? Then it would fit together
with gnumach and ld.so on one floppy disk. Ah, I forgot GRUB. Mmmh. How big
is GRUB?

Or we have to make the kernel smaller. Maybe it does fit even without
compressing ext2fs.static, but then it get's a bit tight.

bzip2 wouldn't gain much, but compressing ext2fs.static would.

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       744451 Jul 27 02:33 /tmp/gnumach.gz*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       715033 Jul 27 02:33 /tmp/gnumach.bz2*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       121201 Jun 19 11:46 /gnu/lib/ld-2.1.1.so*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       706932 Jul 25 16:45 /gnu/hurd/ext2fs.static*

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       274133 Jul 27 02:36 /tmp/ext2fs.static.gz*

> Finally comes the gzipped root
> filesystem floppy, which ext2fs.static uncompresses, and contains all
> the rest of the stuff you need to boot the system.

Yep, that's fine. We need further disks for the base set, but it could also
be gained from another filesystem, CD or via net (probably).

> All this is done in the hurd/release directory.

I will have a look.

> It may not be pretty, but it works. ;)

Boot disks are NEVER pretty, if they work, that's a lot already. And beside
that, I don't think it is ugly, and if we can fit it on two disks instead
three, that would be even better.