Re: Debian GNU/Hurd installation

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 04:15:49PM +0200, steinarh+hurd@stud.fim.ntnu.no wrote:
> > So I say, if you can't boot the Hurd directly off floppy or floppies,
> > then don't bother with installation floppies at all.
>
> Would it be possible to include "programs" on a GRUB-floppy?
> Imagine a patitioning/newfs tool (useful annyway), and a "HURD-installer".
> The installer must be able to fetch a minimum HURD installation from
> somewhere (insert floppy B and press RETURN...) and put it on a partition.

 Hm... I think about some-other-OS as a host-for-installation-programms.
Sure, it's not so bad idea to do an installation like in NetBSD-vax:
a tape (floppy) with standalone repartitioning and miniroot-copying
programs. That programms can be based on a gnumach kernel, without
any extentions - we just need to copy a miniroot with prepared fs
to a small part of prepared partition (without formatting, we already
have a small fs in miniroot). I'd recommend to use swap partition for
miniroot, like it was in NetBSD-vax. After miniroot installation
we cat reboot Hurd and continue with a Debian-like installation
procedure.

--

   V.S.Lugovsky aka Mauhuur (http://ontil.ihep.su/~vsl)  (ICQ: 40614518)