Re: VMWare and GNU/HURD

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 12:15:38PM -0400, David Andrews wrote:
> I've successfully booted GRUB and Marcus' HURD tarball into a VMWare
> virtual machine.

Congrats. I told everybody that it may not work, because I read this
somewhere, but if it works, that's actually good. More people will try the
Hurd. Maybe I will try VM Ware, because I will need fewer reboots if i only
want to try something within the Hurd.

Thanks for your report!

> 1.  Built a pair of virtual machines.  The first is for GNU/HURD
>     itself and a single IDE drive was defined for it. Matthew
>     recommends that this be 500MB in size.  I gave it 576MB,
>     intending to split it into a 512MB main partition and a 64MB
>     swap partition (I knew not to make the virtual drive larger
>     than 1GB).  The real floppy drive was made visible to the
>     HURD VM, but not the real CDROM drive -- I didn't see the
>     point just yet.

Although the Hurd can access iso9660 file systems with the isofs server.

> 8.  GNU HURD booted up like a charm.  I was amazed and laughed like a
>     maniac.  My wife thought I'd lost my mind.

Now, the next step would have been to get the latest native-install script
(from where you got the tar file) and overwrite the native-install script in
the tar file and run it after booting the Hurd. This will set up important
> It occurs to me that a tar'ed VMWare virtual machine would make a
> dandy development distribution for something like HURD -- iff the
> developer is licensed to use VMWare.  Of course, VMWare is commercial
> software, not free, and should not be absolutely required for doing
> development.

Yes. :(  Maybe Boch(sp?) will be ready at some time...
> I have a million questions, most of which stem from having rather a
> novice view of things Unix.  For example, Matthew isn't all that clear
> about which nodes should be defined in /dev -- he assumes rashly that
> I know what I'm doing.  I ran MAKEDEV against fd0, hd0, hd0s1 and hd0s2
> and sort of prayed that I was doing it right.

native-install will make a lot of device files for you, among other very
important stuff (if you don't run native-install, pipes won't work for

Beyond that, you only need device files for disk slices and whole disks.

>  I'll probably have to do
> the same for the virtual ethernet device, and some consoles... but I've
> got some reading to do before that.

Ethernet devices will be created by GNU Mach internally when network cards
are detetcted. Console is already set up by the scripts.