Re: Installing Hurd

 NN> Hi there, what is the usual way to install Debian GNU/Hurd from
 NN> scratch?

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/trying-out-hurd.html

or

http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/

 NN> I would have thought there should be a root image
 NN> somewhere that can simply be untarred to a new partition to start
 NN> out from,

Marcus and Matthew---could you please add the following URL to your
docs:

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/

In that directory, there is a gnu-YYYYMMDD.tar.gz file that contains
the root image.  Follow the directions in the Easy Guide for
information on how to use it.

 NN> Another question: Where do I find information about the partition
 NN> naming in GNUmach?

That's in the Easy Guide, which you'll be able to find in both of the
above http URLs.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)