minicom & mtab questions

Hi, I am not sure what I am to do with mtab:
if there is no /var/run/mtab file when the system boots,
then I am getting an error message

  ext2fs_check_if_mount: Unknown code P 2 while determining
  whether /dev/hd0s2 is mounted

If I touch /var/run/mtab file before booting (Hurd ;-), this
error message does not show up, but /var/run/mtab goes away
after cleaning /var/run/

Both times the system boots into single user mode (there was no -s!).

To mention: during the boot-up, right after the serial port configuration,
there is the following error message (I wonder whether this is related):

  hda3: bad access: block=28, count=2
  end_request I/O error: dev 03:03 sector 28

hda3 is an extended partition which contains the swap space (/dev/hda5)
shared by Linux and Hurd.

After boot up, if I touch /var/run/mtab again and mount some ext2 partition,
then mtab remains empty; df says "can not read table of mounted filesystems".
(It also adds "file not found" if there is no /var/run/mtab).

There is also some related problem with /floppy: once I mounted it with
settrans /floppy /grub/ext2.fs /dev/fd0 and everything was alright, but
now when I access /floppy the system pauses until I interrupt it (^C).
I can not execute settrans -g /floppy: the system pauses again
(floppy's LED remains dark during these manipulations). I am not sure why
this happened: there were no (related ;-) crashes, I can still mount other
partitions with no problems.. Where does settrans (or is it /boot/ext2.fs?)
keep all that information which prevents /floppy from being used?

Now the minicom:
When I start it, as a root, with minicom -s, then I am getting a usual
configuration menu, but when I `exit' to the terminal mode, minicom says
minicom: stopped. There is the same thing if I start minicom with
any other option. What am I to do?.
If I understand this correctly, I am supposed to use /dev/com2 instead of
/dev/ttyS2 for the modem on COM3; actually, I tried all the addresses.

Thanks,
a.

PS. I am sorry for asking those silly questions, but my hands are just
tied with no strace or something handy..

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modems