Re: HORROR!: System in unstable state....

   Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:46:56 +0200
   From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

   On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 04:35:23PM -0400, aaron .'. culich wrote:
   > I recently had problems with libnfslock on a powerpc machine[1] i was
   > installing; my machine didn't lock up like your hurd system, but it
   > caused quite a few things to segfault.  I just removed the entry from
   > /etc/ld.so.preload and things were happy again.  I don't know if the
   > hurd problems are directly related to the ppc problem, but maybe
   > there's something related somewhere in here... :)

   Yes, the Hurd does not like the ld.so.preload stuff, too. I don't know if
   this a libnfslock or a Hurd problem, though.

I don't know what libnfslock is supposed to do, but preloading shared
libraries usually is not the best way to solve your problems,
especially if you try to override system calls is this way.  It is
possible that it breaks on a libc upgrade and Ulrich Drepper (the glibc
maintainer) has ``threatened'' several people that some planned
omptimizations will most certainly break overriding functions like
open().

Mark