Re: APT

   Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 22:24:49 +0200 (CEST)
   From: Per Lundberg <plundis@chaosdev.org>

   On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

   > If the partition is a linux swap partition, it will reckognize
   > this and mark the linux swap markup as "bad" to prevent
   > destruction of the swap format info. To prevent this, clear the
   > partition with zeros or give other options in servers.boot.

   Is there a "native" swap format for the Hurd, if you know what I mean? I'm
   not running Linux on this machine at all, so making the swap partition of
   type 82 was just because I didn't know how to make a "native" swap
   partition.

The Hurd will happily page to any partition you tell it to page on.
If it finds a Linux swap signature in the partition, it will treat it
as such, which means that it does not overwrite the signature and will
not use any pages marked as ``bad''.  For Linux 2.0 style swap
partitions, all space beyond the first 128 MB is not used.

If no Linux swap signature is found, the partition will be used as a
``raw'' swap device.  In principle all space will be used as swap
space, and the partition does not need to be initialized as such (so
don't specify a partition that contains useful data since it will be
silently overwritten).

The Hurd does not use partition types, and AFAIK Linux doesn't use
them either.  Maybe other operating systems of your bootloader does
use them, but for the Hurd they are irrelevant.

Mark