Re: Open ports...

>    I portscanned my system a few minutes ago and it listed
>    ports 21, 23, and 79 open. ftp, telnet, and finger are NOT
>    running and niether is anything like inetd.
>
> But inetd had probably been started when you booted the Hurd.

The init scripts attempt to start it, but it isn't running.
start-stop-daemon ends up exiting with an error about /proc
(about not being mounted).

While we're here, why is that?

Outdated version of start-stop-daemon or is something supposed
to be attacthed to /proc ?

>    followed promptly by a disconnect.
>
>    Is anyone aware of this behavior? (and if so, what is doing it?)
>
> Looks like inetd died somehow, but pfinet didn't notice until you
> tried to connect to the ports.  Most probably a bug in pfinet.  What
> program do you use to do the `portscan'?

It's something I wrote myself. It just calls connect() on each port
in a given port range.

Although I'm assuming inetd isn't starting, the portscanner seems to
trigger on all of the ports that have been specified in /etc/inetd.conf

I'll follow up

--Michael Bacarella