Re: Open ports...

   Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:53:58 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Michael Bacarella <mbac@nyct.net>

   I portscanned my system a few minutes ago and it listed
   ports 21, 23, and 79 open. ftp, telnet, and finger are NOT
   running and niether is anything like inetd.

But inetd had probably been started when you booted the Hurd.

   Connecting to these ports results in an established connection
   followed promptly by a disconnect.

   Is anyone aware of this behavior? (and if so, what is doing it?)

Looks like inetd died somehow, but pfinet didn't notice until you
tried to connect to the ports.  Most probably a bug in pfinet.  What
program do you use to do the `portscan'?

Mark