Re: NFS -- Hurd

> Has anyone got a functioning NFS installation on Hurd?

Please be specific about NFS client vs NFS server.
I use the NFS client all the time, it works fine.

There is an NFS server program (/sbin/nfsd) installed by the hurd package
(not inetutils).  I have not tested nfsd recently at all, and I think it is
officially not quite finished (Thomas is the person to ask).

> It looks like nfsd is present in the inetutils (I think)
> package, but there is no "portmapper" script -- although
> I suspect the Hurd translator semantic means a different
> approach is needed.

Translators have nothing to do with how sunrpc or other normal network
services are started.  You need to run portmap just as on Unix systems.
The catch is, nobody's built portmap!  In Debian/Linux it's in netbase.
Like everything in netbase, it doesn't belong there and should be in its
own package.  It's not in our inetutils.  I'd suggest either taking the
portmap sources from the netbase package, or taking the portmap-4.0 source
dist that redhat's version is based on, and making a new package out of that.