Re: Request for help - my computer 'bought the farm'

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 04:52:42PM -0400, Roland McGrath was heard to say:
> >   Ouch.  Yeah, I noticed that when I tried to catch the output of make (a lot
> > of things seem to avoid stdout and stderr, even normal compilation output..)
>
> That is definitely not the case.  Normal redirections work just fine.
> It is only messages from the servers that go directly to the console.
> You must have just made a mistake in your redirections.  (Note, btw, that
> when invoked as sh rather than bash, it doesn't support the ">& file"
> syntax for stdout+stderr, you must use sh syntax like ">file 2>&1".)

  This is the syntax I was using: debian/rules binary | less 2>&1.  I think that
I was getting confused by sh syntax--testing it on Linux, this has the same
result as on the Hurd, stderr gets passed through and stdout is caught by
less.  Sorry about that.  (I normally use tcsh so my bash/sh syntax is not
always perfect :-) )

  debian/rules binary > /dev/null 2>&1 does redirect both stderr and stdout, in
contrast.

  Daniel

--
The only thing worse than infinite recursion is infinite recursion.