Re: Request for help - my computer 'bought the farm'

>   Ouch.  Yeah, I noticed that when I tried to catch the output of make (a lot
> of things seem to avoid stdout and stderr, even normal compilation output..)

That is definitely not the case.  Normal redirections work just fine.
It is only messages from the servers that go directly to the console.
You must have just made a mistake in your redirections.  (Note, btw, that
when invoked as sh rather than bash, it doesn't support the ">& file"
syntax for stdout+stderr, you must use sh syntax like ">file 2>&1".)