Re: Request for help - my computer 'bought the farm'

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 05:16:10PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann was heard to say:
> On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 11:19:41AM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >
> > (default-pager): refusing paging request because of previous errors
> > ... [repeated lots of times] ...
> > *** [Error 2] Computer bought the farm
> > make: [Error 2] Computer bought the farm
>
> This is error number EIEIO and comes directly from a child's song :)

  Ah.  With a moo-moo here...erm.. :-)

> >   After make terminates the shell fails to recover and I have to do a hard
> > reboot complete with lots of complaining by e2fsck.
>
> Yeah, when you see this there is a good chance you have hosed the system.

  Ouch.

> >   It looks like this has something to do with the pager but I can't find the
> > previous errors it refers to (since the Mach console doesn't have
> > backscrolling..maybe I could try piping the compile through less..)  It may
> > help to mention that my computer doesn't have swap space under the Hurd due
> > to the fact that I can't get it to recognize my Linux swap partition.
>
> How much memory do you have? A lot of swaps helps alot on lengthy compiles.

  I have 48 megabytes..I finally sat down and worked out how to get swap turned
on (it wasn't a problem with Hurd not recognizing my swap partition, but rather
a problem with me not editing the boot scripts :-P ) so I have around
176 MB of effective memory.  I'm pretty sure now that I'm not running out of
memory...

  This error still happens to me after a while.  In fact, after enabling swap
I did a dpkg-buildpackage on Guile to see what happened.  It didn't even get as
far as it had previously before spontaneously rebooting.  I tried finishing the
build by hand, and in debian/rules binary got messages along the lines of:
"wait: Computer bought the farm
Mach: essential server proc died.  Crashing computer.
...."

  Unfortunately that's about all I could catch before Mach rebooted my
computer.

  Anything else I can try or should I assume my installation is totally hosed
and restart?

  Daniel

--
  A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.