Request for help - my computer 'bought the farm'

  Hello,

  I've been trying to compile Guile on the Hurd and after a few changes (see
my earlier posting about poking inside FILE *s) it compiles.  However, after
touching build-stamp the computer dies with messages about: [unfortunately this
is only an approximate transcription, I don't have any way to save the actual
message]

(default-pager): refusing paging request because of previous errors
... [repeated lots of times] ...
*** [Error 2] Computer bought the farm
make: [Error 2] Computer bought the farm

  After make terminates the shell fails to recover and I have to do a hard
reboot complete with lots of complaining by e2fsck.

  It looks like this has something to do with the pager but I can't find the
previous errors it refers to (since the Mach console doesn't have
backscrolling..maybe I could try piping the compile through less..)  It may
help to mention that my computer doesn't have swap space under the Hurd due
to the fact that I can't get it to recognize my Linux swap partition.

  Do I just have to work out how to enable swap or is there something worse
going on here?  [ should I maybe find the first error using 'less'? ]

  Daniel

--
"...drums...drums in the deep!"

  J. R. R. Tolkien