Re: Using Linux swap devices in the Hurd.

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 09:34:29PM -0400, Michael Bacarella wrote:

> 	I set my swap device (obsolete method, in /boot/servers.boot) as
> hd0s9 (because it corresponds to my Linux swap partition) and I get a
> message somewhat like this on boot:
>
> [blah hd0s9] Found Linux swap signature [blah] (1165k swap) (64588k
> unusable).

THe Linux swap markup recognition is new and has not stabilized yet. Roland
will care about this, I am sure.

> I rather need to make use of it because it seems that I'm not able to get
> away with 16 megs of RAM.

Definitely :) (as a hack, set it to raw paging file, as someone else
described).

> A lot of utilities seem to still be buggy and
> probably allocate more memory than they should.

Well, some memory leaks still exist. Apart from that, you can allocate huge
chunks of memory as long as you don't try to access them :)

"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>