Re: Ext2fs bug going updating debian package

> After I updated from hurd_19990425-1.deb to hurd_19990517fixed.deb, I
> wound up with the following problem immediately after it initialized the
> swap partition:
>
> ext2fs: hd0s4: panic: main: superblock won't fit on the device!
>
> Reverting to 0425 works fine.  I then compiled it myself, and had the
> same problem (With a checkout from anoncvs today)

Does it really?  That is, can you access all parts of the disk?

How large is that filesystem?  If it is 2GB or over, you will get this
symptom.  Some recent changes may have made this be detected earlier, where
before it might have just gone along until it tried to use the high end of
the disk and then crashed.  I think around 1GB is the biggest partition you
can reliably access with the hurd filesystems right now.