Re: Gdb on the Hurd.

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 11:51:31PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> Since it almost essential to have a debugger to do any serious
> development for any platform, I have been trying to get gdb working on
> the Hurd.

You know that we have a gdb 4.17 package, right?
It would be good to know what the difference between this and any of the
later versions is.

> Unfortunately my work did not make it into gdb-4.18, which
> doesn't even compile for the Hurd.  The good news is that the latest
> snapshot (gdb-19990412, see http://sourceware.cygnus.com) does compile
> on the Hurd, and is more or less functional.  However, it has a nasty
> bug that prevents you from attaching to a process suspended by the
> crash server.  The patch at the end of this message solves this
> problem.  This patch is already integrated in the upstream sources,
> and will be in the next snapshot.
>
> There are rumours of an upcoming gdb-4.18.1.  I'm not sure whether my
> Hurd patches will be included in gdb-4.18.1, but this patch will most
> probably not be in there.

Mmmmh. I want to have the best gdb in the archive we can get. Can you advice
how to proceed? Use the latest snapshots, or work from the upstream versions
and add patches by you?