Re: Moving away from /dev ?

> we could provide a solaris syntax style /devices interfaces that does
> not contain any drivers - just a hole for hardware access for a device to
> talk into.
> settrans -a /dev/ether/0 /bin/drivers/fxp_driver
>   /devices/pci@1f,0/0x4000

How does this cope with ranges of ports? (For instance, a card that needs
ports from 0x200 to 0x20f or similar?) This seems more like the method
OpenBSD (which I'm not an expert on, since it paniced 30 minutes after I
installed it and I gave up) uses, with a kernel representation of the system
bus. A proper implementation of this (which I'm also not an expert on) could
seriously help with cross-platform support for similar cards (think PCI
buses on PCs and Macs).

But surely with a "dev" translator, this sort of thing could be done
automatically, or from a config file? The style would be more akin to an
ioctl on /dev than setting translators.

--

Adam Sampson
azz@josstix.demon.co.uk