Re: Loop in vi

On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 03:36:50PM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:
>  DS> Doesn't dpkg complain when it tries to "overwrite" a file from
>  DS> one package with the same file from another?
>
> Not by default anymore.  Somebody turned that feature off (I think
> because of the problems that come up when packages are reorganized).

Actually, Gordon means "--force-overwrite" here, but Dale means physical
location (probably inode). No. Dpkg does only compare the file name strings
in the *.list file, and not the actual physical representation.

>  DS> I suspect that vi is only a tiny part of the problem of linking
>  DS> /usr to /.  This not only makes /usr/bin isomorphic to /bin, but
>  DS> /usr/lib and /lib, and /usr/sbin and /sbin also get overlapped. I
>  DS> can't believe that ae represents the only file overlap in that
>  DS> whole collection.
>
> So far, it's the only overlap in the whole collection that I've
> noticed.  We'll deal with the others as we notice them.

There is one more, the cpio package contains /sbin/rmt which is a link to
/usr/sbin/rmt, for compatibility with other unices (it has also the
patological /etc/rmt :)

The maintainer told me he would solve this by creating the symlinks in the
packaging scripts instead, if they are appropriate.

That are all conflicts I know of, and I did search the Contents file for
concflicts (!). /usr/bin <-> /bin conflicts are seldom, because both are in
the path anyway. Same for sbin. /usr/lib <-> /lib is seldom, too, for
similar reasons. I only know of libc5-altdev here, which is only a directory
"conflict" and irrelevant for the Hurd.

And yes, I was very surprised that the number of actual problems is VERY
small. It turned out that making /usr a real directory produced more
problems in the end :)