Re: Moving away from /dev ?

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> yOn Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Kevin S. Ho wrote:
> > Would there be any interest in having GNU Mach and Hurd move way from
> > /dev  into having a kernel-provided translator that exports kernel symbols
> > including devices?
> My main concern with this is that some Linux progs (eg sound) will look
> for /dev/audio, /dev/cdrom and so on...

Personally, I think shouldn't be a concern of ours, for both technical
and aesthetic reasons

First, the technical:  Should you wish to make your machine look like
a linux box, it would not be too hard to create a translator that
overlayed a virtual /dev/, /etc/, /usr/bin, and other forms of unix
brokenness to create a "virtual linux environment" - thus it is
unneccessary to force us to use the old, broken syntax to do things.

Secondly, the aesthetic:  Slavish emulation of linux, which is but an
emulation of unix, will cause us to create something like win3.1 -
a big hideous hack on top of a system simply not designed to handle it.

	ksh